Samuel J. Muir is a trial attorney in the firm’s Oakland and South Pasadena offices. He practices primarily in the area of construction litigation with an emphasis on the representation of design professionals. It was 30 years ago when he was first attracted to helping design professionals because of their tremendous creativity, substantial benefit to society, and commitment to their clients. This initial interest has led him through jury trials, bench trials, binding arbitrations and mediations that are too numerous to count. As lead trial counsel and appellate attorney for the design professional in the landmark decision of Markborough California, Inc. v. Superior Court (1991) 227 Cal.App.3d 705, Mr. Muir argued successfully to uphold the law authorizing limitation of liability clauses in construction contracts.
Mr. Muir enjoys giving back to both his professional and personal communities in many ways. On the professional side, he is a frequent speaker to architectural associations such as the local chapters of the American Institute of Architects (AIA). He continues to speak at meetings of numerous engineering associations such as American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC), Structural Engineering Institute (SEI), and the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC California).
Mr. Muir earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Business Administration from Azusa Pacific University, and a Juris Doctor degree from Loyola Law School, and is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA).
- Markborough v. Superior Court (1991) Cal.App.3d 705 (upholding limitation of liability clauses in construction contracts.)
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Pasadena Bar Association (Board of Trustees 1992, Secretary 1993, Vice President, 1994, President-Elect 1995, President 1996)
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (Board of Directors 1991-1994)
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Defense Research Institute
- Pasadena/Foothill Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) (Affiliate Member)
- Consulting Engineers and Land Surveyors of California (CELSOC)
- Volunteer to the Los Angeles County Bar Association Pro Bono Counsel
- Settlement Officer and Arbitrator, Los Angeles County Superior Court.
- Frequent speaker to the Pasadena/Foothill Chapter of the AIA, the Los Angeles Chapter of the AIA, and CELSOC.
- Certification by a Licensed Architect
- What is Observation?
- Indemnity Changes Again